With the “Holiday Favorites” section on Netflix making its way to the top of our homepages, we thought it’d be fun to share a few workouts based on some classic holiday movie characters. Put aside the popcorn and check them out below!
The “Kevin McCallister” DIY Equipment Workout
If you’ve seen Home Alone and/or Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (we strongly advise against watching 3, 4, or the 2012 reboot The Holiday Heist—yes, they’re real), you’ll know that eight-year-old Kevin McCallister is a true DIYer. From knocking out burglars with a paint-can pendulum to a blow torch security system, Kevin makes the most of his surroundings. And for these exercises—you can, too! Integrate common household items in lieu of dumbbells during this full-body workout:
Repeat each exercise 3-4xs with a 45-second break between sets
- Run up & down the stairs 3x—If you don’t have stairs, 30 jumping jacks
- 12-15 loaded backpack squats
- 12-15 water jug bicep curls
- 8-12 laundry-detergent overhead tricep extensions
- 12-15 water jug rows
- 8-12 duffel bag deadlifts
- 5 pushups
The “Buddy the Elf” Plyo HIIT Workout
As far as I’m concerned, Elf is one of the greatest (Christmas) movies of all time. Central to this holiday staple is Will Ferrell as Buddy—the eccentric, effervescent, energetic human who believes he’s an elf. In this workout, you’ll channel your inner-Buddy through plyometrics and high-intensity intervals (i.e., lots of jumping):
Do each exercise for 50 seconds, rest for 10. At the end of each round, rest for one minute. Repeat 3xs.
- Jump Rope
- Squat jumps
- Mountain climbers
- Plyo pushups
- Jump lunges
- High knees running in place
The “Cindy Lou Who” Partner Ab Workout
This little Who understands the importance of spreading the Who-liday cheer—and in this workout, we’ll follow her lead. Grab a housemate to make this medicine ball core workout twice the fun!
Repeat the circuit 3-5xs
- 15 side angle passes, each side—stand back-to-back, stretch the weight high on your right side, then bring it across your body toward your left-knee & pass to your partner
- 20 crunch tosses— while facing each other, throw the weight to your partner at the top of each crunch
- 10 plank ball rolls— while planking side-by-side, roll a medicine ball between each of your four hands
- 30 Russian twists— sit side-by-side and pass a single medicine ball between you as you twist
Whether you turn on these movies in the background or listen to our Holiday workout playlist —enjoy breaking a sweat & have a happy holiday from the Sports Research fam!